In the bustling world of online content creation, one symbol holds the promise of trust and recognition: the verified badge on YouTube. This small yet powerful checkmark is a testament to authenticity, an emblem that sets you apart from the crowd.
In this article, we will walk you through the process of getting this highly coveted grey checkmark and give you tips on how to best position your channel for verification.
Let’s get started!
- What is YouTube verification?
- Benefits of a verified YouTube account
- Who can get verified on YouTube?
- How to get verified on YouTube in 4 steps
- How to get YouTube channel verification in 2023
- 5 tips to improve your YouTube verification chances
- Can you lose the YouTube verification?
- How to maintain your YouTube channel verification
What is YouTube verification?
YouTube verification is a process that confirms the authenticity of a YouTube channel or account. When an account is verified, it means that YouTube has reviewed the profile and confirmed that the entity claiming the channel is legitimate. This verification is represented by a small checkmark badge next to the channel’s name.
There are two types of YouTube verification:
Account verification: This type of verification is available to anyone with a YouTube account in good standing. It involves confirming your phone number to verify that you’re a real person, not a bot. Account verification unlocks some extra features.
Channel verification (YouTube verification badge): This type of verification is available to channels with 100,000 subscribers or more. It involves a more in-depth process where the channel owner submits a verification form. YouTube then reviews the channel to ensure it meets the eligibility criteria. Once approved, the channel receives a verified badge.
Why is YouTube verification important?
The verified badge serves as a trust signal to viewers, indicating that they are interacting with the official and legitimate version of the channel. It’s particularly important for public figures, brands, and creators to establish their credibility and authenticity on the platform.
Other benefits of YouTube account and channel verification include:
Prevents impersonation: The verification badge helps protect creators and brands from impersonation or fake accounts trying to use their name or image. It acts as a shield against potential scams or misleading content.
Unlocks additional features: Verified accounts gain access to features like custom thumbnails, live streaming, and uploading videos longer than 15 minutes.
Enhances brand image: For businesses and public figures, having a verified badge reinforces their professional image. It shows that they are serious about their presence on YouTube and have met specific criteria set by the platform.
Boosts credibility: Verification is a signal that you’ve achieved a certain level of recognition or influence on the platform. It can enhance your reputation among viewers, potential collaborators, and brands looking for partnerships.
Increases discoverability: Verified channels are more likely to appear in search results and recommendations. This increased visibility can lead to higher subscriber counts and broader exposure.
Provides a competitive edge: In a competitive landscape, having a verified badge can help you stand out and attract more viewers. It’s a mark of distinction in a crowded field of content creators.
Benefits of a verified YouTube account
When you verify your YouTube account using your phone number, YouTube grants you access to additional features. Some of these include:
- Upload videos longer than 15 minutes
- Livestream on YouTube
- Create and upload custom thumbnails for your videos
- Appeal Content ID claims in case your video is accused of matching that of another creator
- Monetization opportunities are available to verified accounts with at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months through the YouTube Partner Program.
Who can get verified on YouTube?
You need to meet specific eligibility requirements to get a verified badge on YouTube. These requirements vary based on whether you aim for account or channel verification (YouTube verification badge).
For Account Verification
Account verification is available to anyone with a YouTube account in good standing. This process involves confirming your phone number, which helps verify that you’re a real person and not a bot. Account verification provides some extra features but does not grant the YouTube verification badge.
For Channel Verification (YouTube Verification Badge)
To qualify for the YouTube verification badge (the grey checkmark next to your channel name), you must meet the following criteria:
Have at least 100,000 subscribers: This milestone demonstrates a substantial following on your channel.
Be authentic: Your channel must genuinely represent the real creator, brand, or entity it claims to be. YouTube may review various factors to verify your identity.
Have an active, complete, and public channel: This means having a channel banner, description, and profile image. You should also be regularly uploading content to YouTube.
For channels with fewer than 100,000 subscribers, YouTube may still grant verification if they are well-known outside of YouTube. This recognition can come from being a prominent figure on other platforms or industries.
It’s worth noting that meeting these criteria does not guarantee verification, but it makes your channel eligible to apply for the YouTube verification badge.
Remember, YouTube’s policies and criteria may change over time, so it’s important to refer to YouTube’s official guidelines for the most up-to-date information on eligibility for verification.
How to get verified on YouTube in 4 steps
Step 1: Visit YouTube.com/verify
Step 2: Select how you want your verification code delivered to you. Either through a text message or phone call
Step 3: Select your country, enter your phone number, and click on GET CODE
Step 4: Enter your 6-digit verification code and click SUBMIT to get your phone number verified.
You can follow these steps to get your account verified whether you’re using a desktop or a mobile phone.
To confirm if your phone number has been verified, go to Settings > Account > Channel status and features > Channel > Feature eligibility. You will see Enabled written in green next to Features that require phone verification. This shows your YouTube account has been verified.
How to get YouTube channel verification in 2023
Step 1: Once you are sure you meet all the requirements for verification, visit the YouTube channel verification page. If your channel does not have up to 100,000 subscribers, you will not be able to view the application form.
Step 2: Fill in your channel name and ID on your application form. You can find your channel ID under Settings > Advanced Settings.
Step 3: Click Submit and wait till YouTube verifies your channel. The verification process could take a couple of weeks, and you might be asked to provide more information to prove your legitimacy.
5 tips to improve your YouTube verification chances
1. Consistent branding
Ensure that your channel’s visual elements, such as the profile picture, banner, and description, effectively communicate your brand identity. Consistency in branding builds trust and recognition with your audience. Viewers who see a cohesive and well-presented channel are more likely to perceive it as authentic and professional.
2. Maintain a regular upload schedule
Consistency in content uploading is crucial for keeping your audience engaged and returning for more. Having a predictable schedule helps viewers know when to expect new videos, which builds anticipation and loyalty. This regularity also signals to YouTube’s algorithm that your channel is active and committed.
🎉 Related Article: 5 Tips to master YouTube content planning and why is it important?
3. Optimize video titles and descriptions
Craft clear and compelling video titles and descriptions that accurately represent the content. Use relevant keywords that potential viewers might search for. This optimization improves discoverability and helps YouTube understand the context of your videos, potentially leading to higher rankings in search results.
4. Leverage YouTube analytics
Review your channel’s analytics regularly to gain insights into viewer behaviour, demographics, and engagement metrics. Understanding what resonates with your audience allows you to tailor your content to their preferences, leading to increased watch time and subscriber growth.
5. Stay informed about YouTube policies
Regularly review and familiarize yourself with YouTube’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines. Adherence to these policies is crucial for maintaining a positive channel status. Violations can result in penalties, including demonetization or loss of verification status. Staying informed ensures you create content that aligns with YouTube’s standards.
Can you lose the YouTube verification?
You can lose your YouTube verification badge if you no longer meet the eligibility criteria or violate YouTube’s Terms of Service or Community Guidelines. Here are some scenarios in which you might lose your verification:
- Violating YouTube’s policies: If you engage in activities that violate YouTube’s policies, such as copyright infringement, spamming, or engaging in harmful behaviour, you could lose your verification badge.
- Changing channel name: If you change your channel name after being verified, you may lose the verification badge. This is because the badge is linked to the verified channel name.
- Not representing the real entity: If YouTube determines that your channel no longer accurately represents the real creator, brand, or entity it claims to be, they may remove the verification badge.
How to maintain your YouTube channel verification
- Maintain a complete and active channel: Keep your channel information up-to-date, including your profile picture, banner, and description. Regularly upload new content and engage with your audience to demonstrate that your channel is active and relevant.
- Don’t violate copyrights: Ensure that the content you upload does not infringe on any copyrights. Use original content, properly licensed material, or content covered under fair use guidelines.
- Monitor community feedback: Pay attention to feedback from your audience and address any concerns or issues promptly. This helps maintain a positive and supportive community around your channel.
- Regularly review YouTube policies: Stay informed about any updates or changes to YouTube’s policies. This ensures that you are always in compliance with the platform’s guidelines.
A badge of trustworthiness
The verified badge on YouTube is more than just an emblem; it’s a testament to your commitment to quality content and authentic engagement. By following these steps and nurturing your channel carefully, you’ll earn the badge and build a lasting connection with your audience.