According to many psychologists, the most important word in any language is your name. It represents your identity, your values, your beliefs, your personality, etc. But coming in at a close second, is your TikTok username and other social media handles.
A creative username can perfectly sum up what you’re all about, grow your TikTok following, and make you memorable.
And on an app like TikTok that boasts over 1.6 billion users worldwide, getting it right is a must.
This article explores the best TikTok username ideas in 2023, so you can elevate your profile and expand your reach.
First up: We look at why your handle on TikTok is important.
What is TikTok username?
A TikTok username is the handle linked to your TikTok account. You can find it below your profile name on the app, and it begins with the “@” symbol. For instance, TikTok sensation Charli D’Amelio’s is @charlidamelio.
TikTok usernames can be a maximum of twenty-four characters and can only contain letters, numbers, underscores, and periods.
Now for the big question: Why does your TikTok username matter?
Why your TikTok username matters?
Aside from the importance of a name (see above), there are some other compelling reasons why your handle on TikTok matters. This is especially true for creators and businesses. Some of the key reasons are:
- Ensuring your brand is easily recognizable, so you can attract new followers and reinforce your identity with existing ones
- Your TikTok username will make it easy (or difficult) for users to search for your brand on the platform. So, having a username that relates to your niche will make you more discoverable other users
- Choosing a catchy username will increase your brand’s sharability and make you more memorable
You may also be interested in 👉 TikTok marketing: The ultimate guide
Next up: Everything you need to know about choosing a great TikTok username.
What is a good TikTok username, and how to choose a TikTok username?
Choosing your TikTok username can be a lot of pressure, especially as a brand or creator.
Don’t worry, though. You don’t have to reinvent the wheel if it doesn’t align with your identity. Your username can simply be your first and last name, like TikTok sensation @khaby.lame.
This is the most popular choice, with most of the best TikTokers opting to use their names or nicknames as their handle.
A few celebrities choose to fly under the radar on the app. For example, Game of Thrones actress Maisie Williams chose the TikTok username @lil.hustla, while actress Elle Fanning went for the bot-inspired username @user6754189318472).
Alternatively, you can go for something a little quirkier, like YouTuber and philanthropist Jimmy Donaldson’s handle @MrBeast.
Generally, if you’re a business, you’ll want a TikTok username that’s instantly recognizable and linked to your brand. Take Flighthouse, a media and entertainment company that produces music, videos, and other social media content.
With over twenty million followers, Flighthouse is currently the second most followed brand on TikTok (beaten only by TikTok’s own brand accounts). It keeps it simple with the TikTok username @Flighthouse, so it’s easy to find and recognize.
Struggling to land on the perfect username? Ask yourself these questions before you commit:
- Does it align with my brand identity and niche?
- Is it catchy and easy to search?
- Have I checked that it doesn’t infringe on trademarks or copyrights?
- Is it consistent with my brand usernames on other platforms?
- Will it still be relevant as my brand grows and evolves?
- Can I include any relevant SEO keywords to boost discoverability?
Factoring in these questions will help you find the right TikTok username for your brand.
Stay tuned as we look at thirty five of the best TikTok username ideas to make your business stand out from the crowd.
35 TikTok username ideas
The sky’s the limit when it comes to usernames for TikTok, which is great if you’re feeling inspired. However, it can be intimidating if coming up with cool usernames isn’t your forte.
To inspire you, we’ve done the legwork for you. Here some of the best TikTok usernames and formulas to customize them #you’rewelcome.
Customizing your name
If it’s good enough for the most popular TikTokers and brands on the platform, it’s good enough for us. The easiest way to come up with cool TikTok usernames is to start with your name. For instance, @janedoe.
If it’s already taken, or you want to play around a little, then try experimenting with different combinations. Here are some ideas:
- Add an underscore – @Jane_Doe
- Reverse your first and last name – @Doe_Jane or @DoeJane
- Add an SEO keyword – @TeacherJane or @Jane_Teaches
- Tell us what you love – @JaneLovesCooking or Jane_The_Chef
- Add birth date or any other significant numbers – @Jane1992 or @Jane_Doe01
- Describe yourself with an adjective – @funnygirlJane or @Mindful_Jane
- Choose a word that describes your account – @Jane_Goes_Jogging
We love that actor turned owner of a footclub Ryan Reynold’s TikTok username is @vancityreynolds. It’s a little tongue and cheek (there’s no mention of his acting career), which is very much on brand for the star.
He’s also a dab hand at jumping on the latest TikTok trends, like the latest “Jus’ thinkin’ ‘bout the Roman Empire” trend taking over the platform.
Another great way to find good tiktok usernames is to think about the vibe or aesthetic of your account. Maybe your TikToks are all about witchy vibes or adrenaline-packed adventures – make sure your username reflects this. Here are a few examples:
- Describe your vibe – @boho_witch
- Evoke a feeling – @folklore_whispers
- Add alliteration – @mindful.meg
- Showcase your style – @gothic_wasteland
- Include your zodiac sign – @Gemini_musings
- Use color – @burgundy_dreams
- Tell us what you’re all about – @fitness_and_frijoles
We love the username choice for this cool, UK-based witchy store and apothecary @highvibehome. It’s all in the name (and the perfect choice of mystical TikTok filters).
Funny TikTok usernames
You may only have twenty four characters, but that’s enough to showcase your sense of humor. Going for a witty, punny, or just plain silly username can grab users’ attention and let them know what your account is all about–the LOLs.
We’ve come up with a few funny tiktok username ideas to get you started.
- Do a play on words – @tea.rex or @Pasta_bilities
- Represent your favorite celebrity or show – @ArianaGrande’s_Ponytail
- Reference pop culture – @Moms_spaghetti or @wewereonabreak
- Be silly – @SpellingEnfusiast or @theallcaplocksguy
- Give yourself a title – @JestfulScribe or @pun_princess
- State your purpose – @justhereforthepuns
- Name your space – @home_of_the_hahas
Hilarious TikToker Kat Wellington is well-known for her skits, jokes, and rather interesting username – @washyourpillowcases. She’s also been known to base her funny videos off TikTok comments she receives (we’re looking at you Snickerdoodles).
Cute TikTok username ideas
Not all cool TikTok usernames need to be funny. In fact, some of the best usernames go for cute over quippy. Take these examples.
- Introduce your pet – @MuffinTheMastiff
- Show off what you’re all about – @dreamy_doodles
- Use cute adjectives and nouns with your name – @rainbowRebecca
- Describe yourself – @darkhairanddimples
- Get your vibe across – @cozycuddlesandcoffee
- Present your favorite things – @marshmallowsandhugs
- Introduce yourself – @thecupcakecutie
Irish mammy Donna set up a TikTok account with the username @keepingupwithjacob to document the adorable musings of her five-year-old son. With over two million followers, it’s one of the most popular (and cutest) profiles on the platform.
Branded TikTok username ideas
TikTok is a gold mine for brands that know how to leverage it correctly. But with so much competition, choosing a branded username that grabs users’ attention is a must.
If you’re looking for ways to jazz up your brand’s TikTok username, try one of these ideas.
- Keep it simple with your full brand name – @sunnysbakery or @joestacostall
- Add a relevant keyword for your niche – @GinasInteriorDesigns
- Use numbers (like the year your business launched) – @lemoncleaningservices_808
- Give your business a title – @Finches_theFinanceGurus
- Include your location – @westhollywoodproductions
- Reflect your values – @thesustainablesneakersco
- Try a pun – @theothercolabeverage
Cosmetics brand e.l.f. is giving a masterclass in TikTok for business, providing its followers with a range of engaging content and TikTok stories. This includes makeup videos, celebrity interviews, and funny skits.
The brand also decided to go for the TikTok username @elfyeah for a fun play on words.
How to change TikTok username
If you’re sagging under the pressure of choosing the perfect TikTok username, don’t. We have some good news.
The good news is that you can change your TikTok username once every thirty days, so you’re not stuck with it for life.
The not so good news is that changing your username too often isn’t great for establishing a strong brand identity and boosting your account’s discoverability and sharability.
That said, here’s a brief step-by-step rundown of how to change username on tiktok:
- Step 1: Log into the TikTok app
- Step 2: Select the Profile tab in the top right corner
- Step 3: Hit Edit Profile
- Step 4: Click on the Username field (your current name should appear in the box)
- Step 5: Clear your current username and add the new one
- Step 6: Double check the spelling (thirty days is a long time to wait if you have an embarrassing typo in your username)
- Step 7: Hit Save
For more about this, including changing your username without waiting thirty days or from different devices, check out out detailed guide on how to change tiktok username.
A final word on TikTok usernames
With a huge number of active users, TikTok is the best place to grow your following, promote your brand, and go viral. And choosing the right TikTok username can help you achieve this. Follow the guidelines in the article to ensure your pick is recognizable, searchable, and aligned with your values and niche.
The hard work doesn’t stop once you hit the big time on TikTok, though. That’s why businesses opt for TikTok tools to help them manage their performance on the app.
For instance, Sociality.io is an all-in-one management solution that allows you to publish and manage TikTok comments for multiple accounts all from one screen. With powerful TikTok analytics, plus collaboration and engagement tools, you can build brand loyalty, identify new opportunities, and track the impact of your content. Get your free trial today.