Instagram is a valuable social media platform to increase brand awareness with the highest number of active users. Although it isn’t link-friendly, our team has discovered nine ways to get around. This article is your unconventional guide on how to share links on Instagram.
Let’s get started!
1. Sticker links.
Story with an embedded link is a great way to share time-sensitive content. The main advantages of Instagram Stories:
- It increases traffic on your website.
- It simplifies users’ journey to the purchase.
Instagram has retired the swipe-up feature in august 2021 and replaced it with clickable stickers. The key difference between the two features is that your viewers can now react and reply to your Story with a sticker and use the tappable link.
People who had the swipe-up privileges will easily adjust to the new sticker option. If you have at least 10.000 followers or a verified account, you can access this feature in 8 steps:
- Post a story
- Tap the sticker icon at the top right
- In the appeared tray of stickers, find the link option and tap it
- Click “+ URL” to add the link.
- Add the link to the text box.
- Click “Done” at the top right.
- Post your Instagram Story.
- Check if the link works correctly — view your Story.
2. Promote Instagram stories and posts
Even with a limited budget, promoting posts doesn’t require your business account to be verified or have 10.000 followers. The costs of running Instagram ads are very flexible and start from as low as $1 per day. Of course, running ads with a bigger budget leads to higher reach and performance.
Promoting Instagram stories and posts can sound complicated., The more control you want to have over your audience and delivery methods, the harder it would be to set up the campaign. However, in the past couple of years, Facebook has offered a variety of ways of launching social media ads.
Promote Instagram content
Promoting content inside the Instagram app is one of the easiest ways to run social media ads. It requires zero to no experience, and the campaign can be launched in less than ten minutes. Although, such a method implies its limitations, and in general, we don’t recommend it. Here are some reasons why: https://sociality.io/blog/dont-boost-post/
If you want to promote Instagram content straight from the app, follow the steps below:
- Find the post you want to promote.
- Click to “Promote” at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- In the appeared menu, choose the destination “Your Website”.
- Edit the link.
- Fill in the rest of the details for your ad.
- Set the daily budget.
- Finally, click “Create Promotion”
Use Ads Manager to run Instagram ads
Ads Manager is a more sophisticated solution in comparison to promoting IG content. It offers detailed targeting, ads performance reports, and in general, gives you more control over every aspect of Instagram and Facebook ads. To launch Instagram ads using Ads Manager we’ve prepared a detailed guide: How to Use Facebook Ads for Beginners.
To navigate this guide if you want to make a promotion via Ads Manager:
- Open Facebook Business Ads Manager.
- Create a new ad and set a campaign objective.
- Select edit placement.
- Choose “Instagram”.
- And then, in the subsection, choose “Feed.”
- Set the budget and schedule.
- Define the audience.
- Pick format out of Carousel, Slideshow, Single Video, Single Image, Canvas.
- Find the “Add a website URL” section.
- Fill in your website URL.
- Select a call-to-action button like “Learn More” and etc.
- Confirm the ad creation.
3. Link in bio
Link in bio! The simplest way (a common tactic) is to get a link on Instagram, but make sure that your Instagram account is a business account.
Click Edit Profile and add your go-to link to the Website section. The link will appear right below your bio, and visitors will be able to access the link. If you are focusing on sending visitors to your website, direct your Instagram audience to your website’s home page.
4. Multiple-link provider
A bio link is limited to one link only. Using a link provider such as linktr.ee or tap.link enables you to direct people to multiple links at once. Link providers are ideal if you have a broad product line, company news to share, or multiple websites under one brand.
How do they work? It is a SaaS product that is customizable to meet your needs. You can set up a menu with multiple links or buttons that link to as many resources as you wish: landing pages, website, blog, Youtube video, etc. They are quite intuitive and your audience will find the required information right away. Moreover, multiple link providers act as data analytics tools and enable you to track the number of clicks and views your links receive.
5. Sharing a short link on your caption
First, let’s clarify the difference between link and URL. A URL is a web address, for example, coffeshop.com. A link is the URL turned into a clickable word(s) that directs a user to the destination. For instance, when you click on the word “coffee,” you are being sent to the website coffeshop.com.
Instagram doesn’t support users to send them “out” of the social media. Although adding a URL to captions won’t allow anybody to click on it, you can still persuade the Instagram audience to copy your URL and paste it into a browser. If the URL is too long, using a link shortener can be a solution. Moreover, URL shortening solutions track clicks and provide users with simplistic reports on user behavior. You can find the best URL Shorteners in 2021.
If you are selling tickets for events, for example, and you have more than one event coming up, and you post about them frequently. You can create shorter links for each event (such as bit.ly[eventname1]) and use these links in your captions underneath the related event flyer.
6. Shoppable post & story links
Shoppable posts allow Instagram audiences to reach and discover your products faster and easily. Shopping tags redirect users to your Instagram shop, where users can get information about the product by following the embedded link.
An account with Instagram Shopping will have a shopping tab next to standard tabs like tagged photos, IGTV, etc. By clicking this tab, users see all the product catalogs. They can save the catalog products like any other standard post and send them to others via DM. Instagram Insights allows you to check engagement on individual shopping posts or compare them based on various metrics, including Impressions, save, and engagement.
To qualify for Instagram Shopping your account should be a business account with a Facebook page located in supported countries, sell physical goods, and match the platform’s policies.
To create shoppable posts:
- Create a product catalog on Facebook. Upload your entire range of products with shopping links, images, and descriptions.
- Then, Instagram will examine your catalog, so wait until it is approved.
- Once it’s approved, you’ll see a shopping tab appear on your profile. The tab showcases your product catalog in your profile layout.
- After it’s done, upload and tag your products. Click “Tag Products” to find the products you want to match with the ones you uploaded.
To create shoppable stories, go through the same procedure of catalog creation on Facebook. After it is done:
- Upload a photo/video to Instagram Story.
- Click on the “product” stickers.
- Select a product from your catalog.
- Once you’ve chosen a product you are done.
7. Action buttons on IG profile
Action Button is a great way to share links. There are 3 categories such as Order Food, Book Now, and Reserve. You need an existing account with a partner on Instagram to select them. Here’s how to set the action buttons:
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- Click “Edit Profile.”
- Tap “Contact options.”
- Tap the “Add an action button.
- Select a partner you want to add.
- Enter the website URL and click “Done.”
- Tap “Save.”
You can also add your business email, phone number, and address under Contact Options, and they also will be action buttons. This is something you should consider doing. This feature works across all countries.
Sharing a link as a direct message is probably the most effective and personalized way to share links. Not only is it convenient for your audience, but direct messages also allow you to build and improve customer relationships and satisfaction rates.
You can send welcome messages to your new followers by setting up quick replies that include links or create quick replies to various FAQs.
To set up Instagram quick replies, follow our step-by-step guide:
- Go to your Instagram profile.
- Click the three horizontal line icon on the upper-right corner.
- Open the “Settings”.
- Go to “Business”.
- Go to “Quick Replies”.
- Click on the blue “New quick reply”.
- Choose a shortcut word.
- In the “message” box, you can include a link.
- Save it.
Send and receive Instagram messages
Send and receive IG messages as text, photo, video, and stickers from one team inbox. Assign conversations, use templates, and monitor metrics.
9. Sharing Links on IGTV
IGTV is a feature developed by Facebook to create and watch longer videos. In comparison to regular content, IGTV allows creators to embed links.
Check this article to learn about the 8 Hacks for Using IGTV for your Business Instagram. Or, follow the most common guide:
- Open the Instagram
- Swipe right to access the camera
- Take a video/photo or upload it from your gallery.
- Click on the “link” chain icon at the top of your screen.
- Tap “+IGTV Video.”
- Choose the video you want to link to
- Preview it if you want
- Click “Done”
Whether you are promoting a product or sharing employees’ stories, directing Instagram followers to links not only helps you to improve the bottom line but also saves people time. Since they won’t need to browse through your website to find exactly what they were looking for. Conventionally, only users with 10.000 followers are allowed to embed links to their stories. However, in this article, we came up with different and effective ways to share links on Instagram.